Sunday 5 December 2010

First Post v2.0

I left out a bunch of stuff I should probably mention in my first post, so i thought I would have another crack. I started this blog for a couple of reasons. Firstly I suck at writing (If you don't know this already then you will soon) and I am hoping that writing regularly here should help improve my writing skills. Secondly it should help me stay focused, I will probably jot down my aims/goals and having them in writing will help me keep to the job at hand.

I never really said much about me or my background either. My name is Sam I am 23 years old and am from the UK. I first got interested in poker a few years back watching late night poker with my dad along with him and his buddies playing. I joined in occasionally after my dad was busto :). I found online poker shortly after and began to donate a few $100 here and there. "Here and there" started to become too often for my liking, so I decided I would try to get better. Around this time I found the forums over at 2p2 and decided that MTTs and SNGs were my thing (FUCKING IDIOT). I met a few cool people and learned a bunch at 2p2 but was still loosing, although at a MUCH slower rate. The guys I had met and some of the "online superstars" were crushing and pulling in five figure scores regularly. Knowing this made me not want to give up! So I started adhering to bankroll management, which was most likely the main reason for my losses until that point. I started beating the smallest stakes MTTs and SNGs over a decent sample and thought I was on my way. At this time I was in school trying to complete my first year if UNI (econ fwiw). My roll was still pretty small, as I had cashed out a few times after a decent (relatively speaking) score. Me and my partner then found out we were having a baby :O. This was not planned and a complete surprise. This changed things pretty dramatically obviously. I pretty quickly realised I would need all the money I could and cashed out my roll :(. I tried to distance myself from forums, AIM, SKYPE, etc.

Having a baby is tough. I had to drop out of school and work a lot more hours. I played small amounts of live poker in between and realised how much I missed poker. Once I got back online I ended up getting into a backing deal to play small stakes MTTs and SNGs, as I just could not justify using my own money at that point. This deal continued through the pregnancy and continued after my daughters birth. I had moderate success initially with the staking but I knew it really wasn't for me, so around 6 weeks ago the deal came to an end.

By this time I had put a lot of time, effort and money into this game and I still enjoyed playing(Fuck knows why). I talked it other with wifey and decided I would take a small amount and start playing cash poker. With a limited roll I would have to start at the smallest levels.

So this is about the point I am at now. I am currently playing $20nl on iPoker with 55% rakeback. I am trying to learn the differences between MTTs and Cash, which are huge and it definitely hasn't been easy. In the past for some reason cash never really appealed to me (maybe I enjoyed dreaming of that big score :/) but I am really glad I have found it now.

i have set myself like 6 weeks to learn to beat the games. I decided to take advantage of a steal of a coaching deal. Its a month long program aimed at smaller stakes (I found my coach through 2p2). We have a had a couple of sessions, so far and I am very pleased so far. So I hope to be beating the games by the New Year and then I will just be putting in as much volume as I can and moving up as soon as possible.

My current working situation is pretty meh, so if/when I get up to 100nl I could probably make more than my current job and 100nl doesn't seem too far away, so that keeps me motivated.

As I said before this blog will be almost entirely about poker but there may be some other things thrown in here and there. Once I get into my stride in the New Year I will try to include goals, graphs and stuff and maybe some BBV :).

Well this is a fucking lengthy post. i think I will end it here. No doubt there will be plenty of errors and what not, probably still forgot to mention some things too :p.

No comments:

Post a Comment